If you are like me, your animals are a big part of your family. In this episode, I talk with Von Braschler about dealing with pet loss and grief.
Von is the author of the book Natural Pet Healing and the e-book Healing with Your Pet: Our Psychic Spiritual Connection, which is based in part on his 4-year popular podcast which was called “Healing with your Pet.” He rescues cats and has volunteered as a dog walker and groomer for the Humane Society. He is also a certified pet massage therapist.
There are steps that you really need to go through in dealing with pet loss
The most popular names in the US for pets are no longer Fluffy or Spot. Instead, they are names such as Max, Sam, Ginger, Misty, Jake, and Samantha. These are like children’s names and they become our family. According to Von, the bond we have with our pets these days is stronger than ever before. Pets are not spending as much time outside, they live in the house with us, therefore, our bond with them gets stronger.
Most of us will go through many… many pets and will sadly lose them and go through grief. Unless someone has lived with an animal or had a pet that is close to them, they do not feel the bond and they can’t truly empathize with the grief you go through.
What are the steps for dealing with pet loss?
- Take lots of photos and make a book out of them
- Keep collars, tags (keepsakes)
- Celebrate their life
- Surround yourself with sympathetic people
- Allow yourself to grieve
- If you have another pet, you can comfort each other and grieve together
- Have a small ceremony
- Join a pet loss support group either online or in person
- Have age appropriate animal (someone who is elderly may not want to get a parrot who will live a very long time)
Healing with your Pet: Our Psychic, Spiritual Connection (Kindle Edition)
Contact Information: If you would like to reach out to Von you can go to facebook.com/vbraschler
Special Thanks to:
- Angie Strehlow who helps us get great guests that help us with our retirement lifestyle while keeping everything on track…and helps with these show notes!
- Les Briney, my husband, and Danny Ozment of Emerald City Pro who edits the show and makes my guests and me sound terrific
- Henry Shapiro, host of Retired Excited that airs on Fridays
- YOU for telling your friends about the show, leaving comments below, and sharing episodes you really like on Facebook, and reviewing the show on iTunes
This post about retirement and Retirement Lifestyle first appeared on http://RockYourRetirement.com