When Robin retired, she knew she wanted to explore new fields and expand her horizons. She came across an opportunity to volunteer with troubled youth.
You’ve probably never heard of an “Independent Visitor For Youth Justice”. Henry certainly hadn’t before this show. But Robin decided to take on that responsibility when she retired.
When Henry went to interview Robin Turnbridge, they were initially going to discuss downsizing. Robin decided she would rather discuss her experience with Juvenile Justice and it became a wonderful topic of discussion.
Robin intuitively knew that it was important to replace the routine of her working life with meaningful activity.
Once a month, she goes to a Youth Justice Facility which are for teens who have committed serious crimes and are in custody. Robin goes into greater detail in the interview, but they talk with the teens, check in on them, and sometimes act as an advocate for the teens. Robin explains how she found this new role, what it entails, and why she loves it. She has transitioned the experiences of her working life to use them in a different arena. Brilliant!
Henry and Robin also discuss:
- What Robin did before retirement
- How she planned for her retirement and what she thought she would be doing in retirement
- Her Retirement Party (or farewell as they call it in Australia) which she says is very important
- Other things she has been doing since her retirement besides working with troubled youth
If you listen carefully, you’ll appreciate that this kind-hearted woman’s first priority is her family, and her second priority is her role giving to society through her involvement in juvenile justice.
Leave a comment in the box below and let us know if there are avenues other than prison to try and rehabilitate troubled youth, or if you think that is an impossible dream.
Special Thanks to:
- Angie Strehlow who helps us get great guests that help us with our retirement lifestyle while keeping everything on track…and helps with these show notes!
- Les Briney, my husband, and Danny Ozment of Emerald City Pro who edits the show and makes my guests and me sound terrific
- Henry Shapiro, host of Retired Excited that airs on Fridays
- YOU for telling your friends about the show, leaving comments below and sharing episodes you really like on Facebook, and reviewing the show on iTunes
This post about retirement and Retirement Lifestyle first appeared on http://RockYourRetirement.com